For those that didn’t know what I was talking in my last post, here is the thin privilege checklist in its entirety:
- I can be sure that people aren’t embarrassed to be seen with me because of the size of my body.
- If I pick up a magazine or watch T.V. I will see bodies that look like mine that aren’t being lampooned, desexualized, or used to signify laziness, ignorance, or lack of self-control. (No, but you will see bodies like mine being condemned as ‘ILL’ and ‘SKELETAL’, etc, signifying stupidity, a need to fulfil society’s beauty standards, a lack of independence)
- When I talk about the size of my body I can be certain that few other people will hope they are never the same size.
- I do not have to be afraid that when I talk to my friends or family they will mention the size of my body in a critical manner, or suggest unsolicited diet products and exercise programs.
- I will not be accused of being emotionally troubled or in psychological denial because of the size of my body.
- I can go home from meetings, classes, and conversations and not feel excluded, fearful, attacked, isolated, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance, stereotyped, or feared because of the size of my body.
- I never have to speak for size acceptance as a movement. My thoughts about my body can be my own with no need for political alliance relative to size.
- I can be sure that when I go to a class, or movie, or restaurant that I will find a place to sit in which I am relatively comfortable.
- I don’t have to worry that if I am talking about feeling of sexual attraction people are repelled or disgusted by the size of my body. People can imagine me in sexual circumstances.
- People won’t ask me why I don’t change the size of my body.
- My masculinity or femininity will not be challenged because of the size of my body.
- I can be sure that if I need medical or legal help my size will not work against me.
- I am not identified by the size of my body.
- I can walk in public with my significant other and not have people double take or stare.
- I can go for months without thinking about or being spoken to about the size of my body.
- I am not grouped because of the size of my body.
- I will never have to sit quietly and listen while other people talk about the ways in which they avoid being my size.
- I don’t have to worry that won’t be hired for a job that I can do because of the size of my body.
You don’t realize how bad it is until someone else affirms it. I started sobbing halfway through this because.. it’s true.
Oh honey, I remember feeling the same way. Hugs if you want them. And send me a message if you want to vent at someone about it <3
This angers me. I’ve highlighted the ones that I face every time weight comes up, every time I see any of my family, every time I go on the internet. I am underweight. I am ‘thin’. I defy your checklist.
Being thin doesn’t magically solve these problems.
We’re all living up to an ideal that is unreachable. The stares, the assumptions, the gossip and ostracising, the people who tell you what you should and shouldn’t eat…they never stop. It doesn’t matter where you are. Who you are. What size you are. Don’t underestimate what other people are living through, please. I empathise with and respect your problems, please respond in kind to mine.
PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BORING SIZIST ASSHOLE
- thecollator reblogged this from heyfatchick
- thecollator likes this
- forthandfine reblogged this from heyfatchick
- forthandfine likes this
- why-axis reblogged this from heyfatchick
- quay-cur likes this
- lavenderzombies likes this
- myvenusdoomx3 likes this
- annagiladi reblogged this from heyfatchick
- fatoutloud likes this
- tenacioustwenties likes this
- noelko likes this
- teenageevangelism reblogged this from heyfatchick
- mandmoniousness likes this
- wondereal likes this
- perfectly-imperfect1993 reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- nullvoidandnevermind reblogged this from sugaredvenom and added:
- kittyramblesalot reblogged this from heyfatchick
- glennspiro-taichi likes this
- organic-bamford likes this
- mathworks-hedge likes this
- tvshowbiz likes this
- mondaymonkeylives reblogged this from heyfatchick
- bytheprickingofmythumbs reblogged this from heyfatchick
- adinarj reblogged this from sparkleblossom
- ifyouveeverbeeninlove reblogged this from heyfatchick and added:
- shadowangels97 likes this
- synapticsustenance reblogged this from heyfatchick and added:
- vaginalpenetration reblogged this from sugaredvenom
- sophiecinnamonn reblogged this from can-we-get-much-higher
- can-we-get-much-higher reblogged this from bigbootiedtattooedcuties
- lifebegins-now likes this
- i-want-my-happy-ending reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- nuriacbrillas reblogged this from beccabae
- noethics likes this
- queenofsecrets2 reblogged this from understandingprivilege
- understandingprivilege reblogged this from sugaredvenom
- forgetpolitics reblogged this from sugaredvenom
- sugaredvenom reblogged this from evilleagueofkitties and added:
- evilleagueofkitties reblogged this from heyfatchick and added:
- abreathfromcatastrophe likes this
- spiralfox reblogged this from a-nightmare-regardless
- a-nightmare-regardless reblogged this from captainbuttmunch and added:
- ohheavens likes this
- captainbuttmunch reblogged this from sugaredvenom and added:
- shulamithbond reblogged this from sugaredvenom and added:
- moon-thing likes this
- captainbuttmunch likes this
- curvily likes this
- chooseyourjane likes this