In order to create safe space for the rest of us, those of us that are not white cis women who are the mainstream definition of “beautiful” and acceptable fat, we have to hold each other accountable, utilize the spaces we share (tumblr is a space we share) and make them safe. So, with that spirit in mind, I’m puttin this list together because these are active and popular white “fat acceptance” or “fat” bloggers who make tumblr an unsafe space for the rest of us. Feel free to add more people and give us a brief description if you want about their bullshit.
This list goes out to all the fat poc, disabled, queer, death fat, trans*, femme, othered beautiful people. So we can help each other in solidarity.
Being on this list means:
They have to stop talking about fat politics until they address their privilege.
They actively participat/particpated in body shaming of someone else.
Have little to no concept of intersectional experiences and how their privilege allows them to shame those who are not on the same axis’ as them.
I do not want to see them on my dash unless there is critical commentary attached.
They actively participate in white supremacy, whether blatantly or covertly.
They make tumblr an unsafe space for anyone who doesn’t identify with their privileged perspective on body an fat politics.
Do not hold themselves accountable when called out.
I will unfollow and hold you accountable if you reblog them knowing they create unsafe environments for a lot of us or you perpetuate and
support their bullshit.
They refuse to do the necessary work in checking themselves, placing the burden on others to educate them.
If you would like me to edit this list to include someone and/or provide links or anecdotes or “reciepts” please message me. Some of these are included per the recommendation of others.
The List (Name and reason for inclusion. I’ll add links at a later time to said call outs when I have computer access or feel free to add them in yourself. I will not provide links to their blogs though. Their names below are their tumblr names but I will not directly link to them.
AmeliaButter: her participation in that PORK Magazine bullshit.
Red3blog: has spoken over a women of color in defense of white supremacy. Adds commentary to posts by woc in an attempt to recenter conversation on white fat issues.
Kylathegreat: Does not hold herself accountable when called out, covert white supremacist, shamed a poc on more than one occassion, is ableist and racist.
Queerfatfemme: Reblogged racist posts and posts by people knowing theyre white supremacist.
PussyBow: White supremacists who promotes racist regalia and doesn’t hold herself accountable when called out.
Chubby-Bunnies: Ableist and doesn’t hold herself accountable to call outs.
ETA: Per the comments and messages of others:
Chubby-cartwheels: Defended AmeliaButters bullshit/white supremacy
FemmesandFamily: White centric blog with little evaluation of privilege
Oh-hey-Brittany: Derailed conversation about race and ~wants racism off her dash and harmony~
This list is fucked up.
Especially since not all of these blogs are even focused on fat acceptance, or body positivity. They’re just girls with blogs, who happen to be plus-size too. However, since they’re “fat tumblr bloggers,” they must be involved in tumblr social justice, and therefore they should “go away.”
When’s the next “hot or not” list coming out guise?
You’re missing the point.
If you are a fat person interested in FA, then it’s only natural to follow people with similar interests. The nature of Tumblr is such that we all network within those interest groups, and become exposed to lots of people. But FA has problems. It often erases and marginalises people with less privilege, and as with all things, the white, cis, straight and able among us will be given a platform they don’t really deserve. This list is a method of addressing that issue, and letting PoC, disabled people etc. know who they can feel safe following, and in general for all of us to be held accountable and know what sort of people we’re interacting with.
The internet, and specifically Tumblr FA doesn’t happen in a vacuum. If you don’t want to end up on a list like this, don’t be a dick. It’s that simple.
- angstiosis likes this
- terminallycrackergrudge likes this
- fivelettered reblogged this from impromptuonedykedanceparty
- prossibly likes this
- thelieinliza likes this
- quelola reblogged this from sluteverbabe and added:
- rottweiler-smile likes this
- juiceextina likes this
- bubbybobble likes this
- viennesetrainspotter reblogged this from quelola and added:
- tumatics likes this
- superhusbandslove reblogged this from biyuti
- redsunrisinginthesky likes this
- crashleyratchedourian reblogged this from charmanted and added:
- queer-hex likes this
- quelola likes this
- athousandpens reblogged this from quelola and added:
- downherspine likes this
- weloveyoumorethanyouknow reblogged this from quelola and added:
- nerdbyrd reblogged this from youarenotyou
- sagwaaa likes this
- green-street-politics reblogged this from quelola
- sensual-grandma likes this
- sisoula likes this
- biculturallatina reblogged this from quelola and added:
- fokin-moda reblogged this from quelola
- coffee-slvt likes this
- atchka reblogged this from quelola
- shrieking-violet reblogged this from biyuti
- puppy-tails reblogged this from biyuti
- alwaysyoumylove likes this
- meredithellenmae likes this
- exceedinglytrans reblogged this from sugaredvenom
- thereluctanthipster likes this
- eshusplayground likes this
- lemonpeasy likes this
- violentgirls likes this
- jackaldope likes this
- impromptuonedykedanceparty reblogged this from youarenotyou
- cutselvage likes this
- jeshaheidi likes this
- h0miebopper likes this
- elliegigglesxd reblogged this from forgetpolitics
- elliegigglesxd likes this
- vulgarvulgar likes this
- forgetpolitics reblogged this from sugaredvenom
- lapocketrocket reblogged this from sugaredvenom
- contessina-demedici likes this
- dwntotheundrgrnd reblogged this from sugaredvenom
- sevenstylistsolutions likes this